Recently The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints came out with a new policy that does not allow children of same-sex couples to join the church until they turn 18, denounce their parent’s lifestyle, and are no longer living in their parents’ household.
To start off, it’s important to recognize that regardless of what others have said, this wasn’t a hateful decision. I’m confident that if you were to listen in on the Councils of The Church, you’d be in agreement with the new policies.
Since the media frequently highlights the views of defectors of The Church, I figured I’d offer an alternative, LDS perspective.
Elder Neal A. Maxwell said, “Studying the Church … through the eyes of its defectors.. [is] like interviewing Judas to understand Jesus. Defectors always tell us more about themselves than about that from which they have departed.”
A lot of the hype surrounding the church’s policy was generated by excommunicated members of the LDS Church. If you really want to learn about LDS beliefs and practices, I believe you should first go to those who are faithful Latter-day Saints, not defectors of the faith.
The LDS church is often painted by media as being not inclusive, judgmental and old fashioned. I believe the LDS Church’s new policies regarding homosexual couples and their children were made out of love, not hatred.
1) Church leaders express love for and seek to understand those with SSA
- Tips to Not Offend People with Same Gender Attraction.
- Having a Heterosexual Temple Marriage While Feeling Same-Sex Attraction.
Latest posts by Alex Balinski (see all)
- 130+ Inspirational Quotes By LDS Church Presidents - Feb 18, 2017
- 300+ Inspirational Quotes By President Henry B. Eyring - Feb 17, 2017
- 50+ Hilariously Cheesy LDS Pick Up Lines - Feb 6, 2017