Do you ever feel like there is a disconnect between you and your missionary? Is it hard to feel like you are connected to them from the communication that you receive? Well, one missionary mother (Julie Hess) has shared some really useful questions that can help you find out what is in that missionaries heart. Here is what she said.
When our daughter was on her mission, we used to write her on Sunday mornings and would receive her emails on Sunday evenings. I would share the group email she would send out each week here, but there were other, personal, emails that only passed between her and me. Her first few emails were a little lacking in the details I was hoping for.
One particular Sunday morning, I woke up with an idea….I pondered on what I would have wanted my mom to know while I was on my mission. These questions formed in my mind. From that week on, every time I wrote to her, I would include these questions first:
1. What has been your biggest challenge this week?
2. What has been your biggest concern?
3. What has been your biggest success?
4. Who has been your favorite person this week? Why?
5. What has been your most significant tender mercy?
6. What are you looking forward to this coming week?
7. Do you have a goal set for this coming week? Tell me about it.
8. Which scripture has had the biggest impact on you this week?
I gave her instructions that, above all else, these questions needed to be answered. I didn’t care if she wrote anything else. From that point on, she would answer the questions. They were always the first part of her weekly emails. I felt, from these, that I truly knew her heart. It was a great link between us.
Latest posts by LDS Missionaries (see all)
- LDS missionary finds his own Jr. Jazz jersey while serving in Africa - May 6, 2017
- How I Never Got Sick on My Mission to Africa - May 2, 2017
- DEAR MISSIONARY….IT’S YOUR CALL - May 1, 2017